Monday, November 13, 2006

Buying Computer?

Technology and tech terms could be totally Timbuktu for most of the general public, like me. So, when I buy a computer, I make it a point to bring the husband, although I am definite I know more tech terms than him, so that there's someone I can blame for damages later on... But then, maybe, I was just exacting revenge because he was responsible in damaging my last, old reliable mac (I had two in my previous life--- a notebook and a desk top --- this is my third reincarnation, and I am 93 years old).

Here in Urdaneta, I bought the first desk top at JoyComp, 3F Magic Mall. Karen and her staff are very kind and helpful. Then, I had another unit for installment basis at Speed. Hardly used for 4 weeks, the computer bonked out. In most service centers, the usual excuse is "baka na-virus..." Most technicians will tell you that but most technicians don't know a virus from a text message (meaning, its familiar, but what is it, anyway?). It turned out the CD rom was not working as per specification, so, they had to change it. What irritates more was in the middle of explaining your problem, they ask you for receipts which are not even official, to begin with... Bad trip to the first degree! I also wanted the memory cards changed because my programmer said it was of low quality, one that performs erratically when it does not like the humidity, it will bonk-bonk. But the manager said cannot be... I'd like to presume this is one of the disadvantages of installment plans, or for buying at Speed? Since then, i had the unit re-formatted several times... while the JoyComp unit goes well...

In making choices, it is hardly valid to make one unless an experiment was undertaken. And this thing with Speed was not a good experiment at all. Installment or cash basis, I believe that my wasted time and their wasted time for unnecessary shut downs, repairs and hardware exchange is eating my and Speed's resources (but basically mine's). In fact, the unit shuts down without any reason at all most of the time while I was working, while the JoyComp unit, just sitting one meter away continue working!

I am about to purchase again for another unit, but my programmer advised me to try Strings. I would have gone back again to JoyComp if they had stocks, but Strings seem to stock more new items. Besides, my programmer who also buy his items at JoyComp and Strings said both establishments are reliable.

In a highly competitive market, the Total Quality Management (TQM) proponents argue that product and service must be competitive right from the start. The Speed manager reasoned to me why there were "old" and second-rate parts in the unit was because they were disposing old stocks. Thing is, there are a lot of establishments that try to get away with uncomfortable practices like that. My programmer showed the Speed technician that the CD-Rom they placed in my unit was performing below par, and the technician would have insisted everything was alright, until my programmer showed him it wasn't.

I think it is OK to use old stocks as long as these are of premium quality. But to dispose it for the sake of getting rid of old stocks could be hazardous to the customer, and their health... Units that break down in the middle of unsaved document or program is one of the highest cause of stress in the workplace.

And irritated customers that bring units for repair also causes a lot of stress. Good thing, Mr. Speed does not seem to frequent his service shop.

So, Mr. Speed, I hope you don't mind some piece of boomtarattattat in the middle of November... The unit you gave me rattattat most of my unsaved documents, anyway...

1 comment:

kelchy said...

hey have you tried my shop?
i know a lot of people who suffered from your experience. call olive, 5687603 we are just across the public market.
i can assure you we don't sell so-so brands. i sell what i personally use. but you also should understand, there are also some bad eggs, but sa case namin, minimal yan, because we only go for reputable brands.